Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Remember Jean Enel

Jean Enel the 8 year old who was shot in Citi Soleil died of his wound early this morning. Onree (Henri) which is the 6 year old will move into a Canadian run orphanage (in Haiti) in two days. The hospital that took care of him after the initial gun shot injury is Canadian run and understandably they wish to keep track of Onree. It doesn't matter that the Children's House of Haiti is the 'family' he has gotten to know. He has no known parents, no documentation.

I got to know Jean E (we pronounced his name like Johnny) for only a very short period of time. He was put in my therapy group because he was one of the more well adjusted ones :/
But because I got to interact with him on an emotionally intimate degree, I feel that I was blessed to get a sense of his joyful spirit. I got to listen to him recount his experiences during and after the earthquake, his memories of his family and environment and his fears and hopes for his future. It is an incredible tragedy that he was so close to such a dramatically different life. A tragedy that he died with no family to mourn the loss.
I feel a renewed sense of urgency... but also a sense of hopelessness that I will work through today.
Thanks for letting me share this with you.

1 comment:

Oh My GOFF said...

This is so sad. I'm sorry for your loss of a little friend who seemed to hold so much life. Thanks for sharing.